Thursday, November 29, 2007

Pneumonia and Cabbages and Awards


Codeine is an awful drug. I mean it. I'm not the narcotics-type, and the bizarre opium-eater dreams I have when I finally do fall asleep--after imbibing but two teaspoons of codeine cough syrup--are enough to give Salvador Dali and Hieronymous Bosch nightmares.

Why the codeine? Because right before Thanksgiving, I contracted the Big P. Cough Central. The Last Wheeze. Otherwise known as pneumonia.

I've been laid up, unable to work (bad), unable to write (worse), unable to think clearly (worst). I finally emerged from this cherry-flavored haze to go on line this morning, and found an email from a friend and fellow writer (and fellow nominee, Declan Burke) congratulating me on my nomination for a Spinetingler Award.

I was about to call the doctor and report my hallucination when I found other reports announcing the same thing. Surely not everyone was on codeine ... wow.

Convivium is the first short story I've written since I was 16, and while it's not been an eon yet, let's just say I can measure the span in dog years. So it's my first short work as an adult, it's got a Latin title, Latin words, it features a character who will be making his debut next July in my first novel, Nox Dormienda, and it's got cabbage in it. Not exactly an orthodox combination even in hardboiled, noir or historical, the genres I commingle and flirt with.

I've been happy as a clam at having it published in Dave Zeltserman's wonderful Hardluck Stories, especially among such esteemed company. The fact that anyone actually read it ... liked it ... and then voted for it ... well, I'm still half-suspecting the world drank from my cough syrup bottle.

If you feel so inclined and haven't read Convivium yet, I'd be delighted if you did. And please exercise your reader's constitutional right and vote in the Spinetingler Awards. There are many creative categories (best editor; best cover design), and plenty of great nominees to vote for. The deadline is December 30. Details can be found on the Crime Zine Report.

I am truly humbled, exceedingly surprised, and very, very grateful to those who nominated me. And I feel a lot better. I think I've discovered a new weapon against pneumonia.

9 comments:

Jenna said...

Nice place you've got here, Kelli! And awesome news about the award. I've emailed in my vote... :-)

Bill Cameron said...

The nom is so fabulous, Kelli. I'm rooting fer ya!

And also hoping you beat down the Big P forthwith. Although maybe we should call it the Big Noo, since P sounds like, well, you know.

Anonymous said...

Love what you've done with the space. And I think we'd all drink a little codeine if we woke up to awards. :)

Congratulations! Hope you're keeping warm in the fog and cold out there.

Kelli Stanley said...

Many thanks, y'all! And Bill, you have a point about the Big P. Of course, if we combine the Big P and the Big Noo ... uh, never mind. ;)

julie k said...

I have my own codeine experience from college. I sprained my ankle one night and was drugged up during class the next morning. The professor posed a question about who was more pious -- a man who owned one rosary or a man who owned a hundred rosaries. He called on me while I was in my codeine zone. I misunderstood the question and thought he said "grocery stores" instead of "rosaries." I replied that I did not think it was possible to judge the piety of an individual by the number of grocery stores they own. Things went from bad to worse. Enough said.
Congrats on launching a blog, Kelli.

Kelli Stanley said...

Ha! That's a priceless Rosanne Rosannadanna story!

Grocery stores? There's no piety in grocery stores, and precious little violins on television ... ah, what codeine can do.

Thanks, Julie! :)

CJ Lyons said...

Kelli,
Sorry it took me so long to get here and send my congrats!!! Fantastic job!
CJ

Kelli Stanley said...

Thanks, CJ! I like it over at your place, too!! :)

How's the reading list coming along?

Anonymous said...

You are soooo deserving of any award. You're a talented author and a gripping short story is right up your alley.

I hope you get rid of the bug real soon. I hate being sick too. Think Mom and chicken soup, the best medicine in the world.

Take care, sweets. Love ya.
Jordan Dane